Wednesday, December 12, 2007

December 23, 2382

In the light of the recent events, I think it would be best to update this.

The ship that I was assigned to when I first started this (the U.S.M. Auriga) crashed about a year ago. It is now known that the Auriga was involved in a medical experiment to clone the alien species believed to have been extinct. The cloning was done through DNA found on Fiorina 161 belonging to Ellen Ripley. In essence, the officers of the Auriga cloned Ellen Ripley so that they could have the alien queen she was carrying.


What I had feared when I first started writing this came true. Thankfully Ellen’ clone took up Ripley’s old hobby. The Auriga was destroyed when it was deliberately crashed into Earth. No traces of the alien species were found.
I thought the nightmare would have ended there, but it didn’t. A month ago the Tonoro’s missing EEV was discovered. To my horror, my suspicions were confirmed. The United Systems Military found the remains of the four Tonoro survivors as well as the adult alien frozen inside. Given what the United Systems Military did on the Auriga, I can only say one thing;


God have mercy on our souls.


Dr. Even Andrews Ph.D.
December 23, 2382

1 comment:

Adam Johns said...

Wow! That's a long, complicated project - I wonder how long it would be printed? Not quite the longest project I've ever read, but _long_.

Let's start out with what interested me: I thought your use of the blog form (following the diaries) was clever, and that you alternated between it and other forms at appropriate intervals. The notes were a little awkward in the blog form, but not necessarily a bad idea - so formally, there is much of interest.

As far as the story goes, my main impression is that although I haven't seen one of these movies since roughly the release of Alien III, that this all seemed very familiar & predictable. Maybe the details aren't, but for me it all seemed to flow as I expected.

One thing that HOL accomplishes, through its use of its peculiar form, is to challenge the way horror stories are told - the layered footnotes, changing fonts, academic language, etc., transform the nature of the horror story while preserving essential aspects of it.

To me, this is too familiar, too preserved - your formal ideas are interesting and worthwhile but don't, to my mind, have the same sort of impact on your story as they do in Danielewski's.